Monday, May 28, 2012

Healthy Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole



Being a busy single mom who's running around trying to unpack boxes (still!), hang curtains, mow lawns, and manage to work full time, I am taking advantage of my crock pot a lot more. I found several breakfast casseroles online that were all about the same and modified the recipe to create a healthy version.

Now that we live in the country, we buy fresh eggs!
Healthy Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole 
(with a Kick!)


  • 1 dozen eggs
  • 1 cup cup nonfat milk
  • 1 package (32 oz) hash browns 
  • 1 lb turkey bacon, cut into pieces
  • 1/2 cup green onions
  • 1 green, red, or yellow pepper, diced
  • 1/2 lb reduced-fat jalapeno jack cheese, shredded or cut in pieces
  • salt and pepper to taste
1. Layer potatoes, bacon, onions, pepper and cheese in the crock pot in two or three layers
2. Beat the eggs, milk, and salt and pepper together.
3. Pour over entire mixture.
4. Cook with crock pot on low for 10 hours until eggs set and are thoroughly cooked.

Note: I halved the recipe and cooked it on low for 5 hours instead (since I am only cooking for 2). The casserole lasted for several days on a week I was particularly busy! By the way, it's the jalapeno jack cheese that gives it a kick, if you didn't guess.

What are your favorite crock pot recipes? 


Linking up to:
Creative Mondays @ http://judyh-jsthoughts.blogspot.com/
Tasty Tuesdays @ http://beautyandbedlam.com/

5 comments:

  1. Interesting! I am going to have to give this a whirl. Stopping by from Tasty Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, this sounds delicious!!!

    I never think of using my slow cooker for breakfast, but I'm so busy in the mornings that I totally should!

    Saying hi from Tasty Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I cannot wait to try this!!
    thank you!
    http://bit.ly/FOLnSm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so blown away by the awesome blogness that I can't read the post yet! I will in a moment - but WOW!
    Are those pages at the top or that new thing Google's doing... I can't remember what it's called right now. AND I love, no LOVE the background. Your photo? Oh, too awesome. WOW. Now I need to go read your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay - now I've read your post. I have a recipe (baking) that's very similar "Farmer's Casserole". It uses condensed or evaporated milk, ham and jalapeno jack cheese. The "less healthy" version and baked in the oven. I'm not much for turkey though. Can't imagine turkey bacon. "How's it taste?" Slow cooked, wake up to breakfast - sounds like a great idea.
    AND, I just loved reading your first sentence and the caption under the photo of the eggs. Just love it. Still beaming on your behalf. Yeah! Hugs! Jenn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...